UG Academic Council
|Founded||February 22nd 2017|
“To increase the participation of the student community in the framing of those decisions which impact their day-to-day academic life.” - Mr. Anand Ramrakhyani, Academic Affairs Secretary, 2019 - 2020.
For every new tenure, nominations will be invited for representatives of each programme:
- The list of interested students will be circulated amongst all the students.
- If there are multiple nominations from the students of a particular Department, the concerned students can discuss amongst themselves and all but one of them can drop their nominations if they reach any conclusion.
- If the issue of multiple nominations doesn’t get resolved still, then the AD (Courses) and the Academic Affairs Secretary shall take a decision (based upon a number of factors, including but not limited to, (a) willingness to work, (b) communication skills, (c) academic record, etc.).
- If no nominations are received from a particular programme, the Academic Affairs Secretary shall on consultation with the AD (Courses) nominate a student as the representative of the concerned programme.
- Academic Affairs Secretary (Convener)
- Representatives (1 per programme)
Differences between a Council Member and a CR
The roles and functions of a CR (Class Representative) and a member of the Academic Council differ completely. The following are the differences between them -
- Class Representative(s)
- Are member(s) of Class Committee
- Attend(s) CCMs (one before Quiz 1 and the other before Quiz 2) on behalf of all the students registered in a certain course, and give interim feedback on how the course is going.
- Academic Council member
- Is a member of UG Academic Council.
- Raises concerns affecting the students from their programme, and whose opinions / suggestions shall be forwarded to the Board of Academics (BoA) and the Senate.
The CR(s) are responsible for smooth conductance of the course and shall reflect the opinions of the class (for a particular course) in the 2 Class Committee Meetings (CCMs – one before Quiz 1 and the other before Quiz 2), while the Academic Council members shall raise concerns affecting the students from their branch and year, and whose opinions / suggestions shall be forwarded to the Board of Academics (BoA) and the Senate.
Events and Activities
Vyarth Shastra placeholder
Branch introduction session
Academic Awareness Session
Curriculum Explanation Session
Semester Exchange Session
Session for higher studies
Roles and Responsibilities
The Council representatives shall:
- Facilitate the communication of any decision regarding academics, taken by the competent authorities, to the students of a particular programme.
- Raise issues and concerns faced by the students of a programme, in front of the Academic Affairs Secretary during the regular meetings of the Council, or anytime throughout the semester, but specially before a meeting of the Board of Academics, and the Senate.
- Advise the Academic Affairs Secretary on solutions to the academic issues.
- Conduct regular sessions pertaining to matters such as career guidance, subject-specific doubts and credit-basket understanding.
- Be in regular touch with the Faculty Advisor of that programme (of which the member is a representative of) and see through the progress of credit-basket completion of the students of that programme.
- Ensure that all students of a particular programme provide their valuable opinions and feedbacks (by filling up online forms, or participating in online surveys) on multiple proposals to be kept in front of the competent authorities.
- Work on academic proposals decided by the council.
Arnav Prasad: +91-8800994242